BRISECC Annual Meeting 2019 held at Nanning, China
The 2019 Annual Meeting of Belt and Road International Science Education Coordinating Committee (BRISECC) was held on 25 September 2019 at Nanning, Guanxi-Zhuang Autonomous Region of China. The meeting was presided over by the BRISECC President Prof. WU Yueliang and attended by Vice President of BRISECC Prof. Manzoor H. Soomro and other Members from China, Azerbaijan, Tajikistan, Indonesia, Kenya, Ukraine and Czech Republic.
In the meeting, Dr. ZHU He, Deputy Secretary General of BRISECC, presented the report on annual activities of BRISECC carried out during the reporting year (2019) such as development of the website (http://www.cyscc.org.cn/brisecc/index.aspx) and logo of BRISECC, participation in the thematic forum of 2nd Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation in April 2019; wherein, Vice President/Secretary General Mr. LIU Yang shared the progress of Committee activities, organization of Belt and Road International Science Week with China Science and Technology Exchange Center in Beijing in May 2019 and Organization of OBOR Fusion of Civilization Education (FoCEd) Curriculum Workshop of Chinese teachers in Nanjing, China in August 2019.
One of the biggest events of BRISECC i.e., “3rd Teenager Maker Camp and Teacher Workshop” was also organized from 25-29 September 2019 at Nanning, China. International Science Education Forum was another event held in Nanning on 26 September 2019. A 4-day workshop on OBOR FoCEd Curriculum was also held during the camp.
Following proposals for by the three working panels were discussed in detail:
Panel – Science Education Resource (headed by Dato Lee Ye Cheong of Malaysia)
- Virtual Global Belt and Road Museum
- OBOR Fusion Extension in Africa and South America
- Belt and Road Virtual Science Center
Panel – Science Instructor Development (headed by Prof. Manzoor H. Soomro of Pakistan)
- 2-days International High level Advocacy Seminar and 4-days Inquiry Based Science Education (IBSE) workshop in Sukkur-Pakistan (December 2019)
- A 3-days Awareness-cum-Advocacy Workshop in Baku-Azerbaijan in March 2020.
- A 5-days IBSE workshop in Dushanbe, Tajikistan in June 2020.
- Young Scientists Forum
- BRISECC Working Group/Coordination Sub-Committee for Science Instructor Development
- Online teaching training program
Panel – Teenager Science Education Events (headed by Mr. LISOVYI Oksen of Ukraine)
- 9-days multidisciplinary course of sustainability for teenagers
- International Nanotechnology Olympiad in Iran proposed by Dr. Fatemeh Mohajerani of Iran .
Proposals for inclusion of new member organizations and individuals i.e., CYGNUS Scientific Society – UNESCO Center (individual member Prof. Laurentiu Dan Milici), Science Center Singapore (individual member Dr. Lee Song Choon) and China Science and Technology Museum (individual member Mr. OU Jiancheng) also came under discussion. The Committee unanimously approved most of the proposals with suggested modification to others.
BRISECC Members also paid a visit to Gaotian Town Ethnic School of Yangshou Country of the Guangxi-Zhuang Region, China and witnessed the piloting of FoCEd curriculum. A unit on spices from the Curriculum was taught through IBSE methodology. The Committee Members were impressed by the teaching methodology and interest of the students in the Curriculum. Following are some glimpses of the class.